Rail service first arrived in Murray in 1890 when a leg of the L&N Railroad was built from Paris, Tenn. to Paducah. A passenger depot served the city for decades and residents could catch a train and go just about anywhere in the country.
The old L&N Depot was built in 1926 at a cost of $30,000 and provided service for passengers until 1951. It was common for people to hop on board and ride from Murray to Hazel or Paris for less than $1.
In 2019, the old depot became condemned and was torn down in July. All that remains now is a concrete slab.