Walnut Grove, Kentucky is an unincorporated community in Marshall County, about three miles southeast of Benton.
The community is located at the intersection of Dogtown Road and Walnut Grove Church Road.
History of Walnut Grove
This community doesn’t appear on many historical maps but was once home to the Walnut Grove School. The Walnut Grove Church of Christ is located at the intersection today. The community is located very near Glade and Dogtown.
There are no records of post offices ever located here with the name Walnut Grove. The community probably got its name from a grove of walnut trees.
A Kentucky Department of Highways road plan from 1954 shows the creation of Kentucky 1445 through the community, which details the improvements of the old road along with the names of property owners and businesses.
Prior to the early 1980s, the Nashville, Chattanooga and St. Louis Railroad was located at the bottom of the hill near Walnut Grove. The abandoned line now serves as a boundary marker for the Clark’s River National Wildlife Refuge.